Type to search

Expense Reimbursement Policy


In the event that SJC-related expenses (including travel/conference expenses, for which pre-approval is still required) are directly incurred by a staff/faculty member, an Expense Reimbursement form must be completed, and proper approvals must be obtained. The Expense Reimbursement request must be made within 30 days of the transaction(s) and the form must include dates, descriptions, amounts, totals and applicable expense codes. Expense Reimbursement forms require original itemized receipts for each item on the report with the exception of mileage. (The College will reimburse the first 100 miles of travel using your personal vehicle for college business at the current IRS mileage rate in effect at the time of travel. Additional miles will be reimbursed at the IRS Rate for Variable Expenses only in effect at the time of travel. The Employee Reimbursement Report will calculate the correct reimbursement value.) When College owned vehicles or rental vehicles are used for College business (see Vehicle Rental procedures, listed within Travel and Conferences Policy), the employee will be reimbursed for the actual purchase price of the gasoline, otherwise gasoline charges are not allowed when personal vehicles are used. Fuel purchases must be substantiated with a receipt. Expenses not substantiated with a receipt will not be reimbursed.

Expense Reimbursement forms must be signed by the individual submitting the report and signed (authorized for payment) by the supervisor or department head. Expense Reimbursement forms received by the Treasurer’s Office with any missing information will be returned to the employee.

Please note that if you are requesting reimbursement for expenses incurred on behalf of grant work, you must use the Grant Expense Reimbursement form listed below.

General Comments

Expense Receipts

  • Original itemized receipts are required to substantiate all College purchases, including those for credit card purchases, lodging, restaurants, travel, expense reimbursements and cash advances.
  • In the event of a lost receipt, please complete and submit an Affidavit of Lost Receipt Form.
  • If a receipt (or Affidavit of Lost Receipt) is not submitted, the employee will be responsible for the amount of the charge if a College credit card was used, and will not be reimbursed for the expense if submitted on a Travel & Expense Reimbursement Report form.
  • Note that items of a personal nature (movie rentals, personal items from a hotel gift shop, general incidentals, etc.) are not considered to be College expenses and any such expenses incurred are deemed the responsibility of the employee.


  • Itemized restaurant or food vendor receipts are required for meals for College employee(s) and must include the names of the individuals present, their business relationship, and the business purpose. A credit card receipt alone will not be accepted. Alcohol purchased during meals while traveling is generally not considered a business expense, unless a business purpose has previously been properly documented, reviewed and approved as stated below.


  • Alcohol is generally not considered a business expense, unless a business purpose has previously been properly documented, reviewed and pre-approved by the appropriate Leadership Team member.
  • Any alcohol that is purchased for staff or faculty consumption must be also pre-approved by the appropriate Leadership Team member.
  • Any non-approved alcohol costs incurred by a staff or faculty member will be the responsibility of that employee.

Departmental Parties

  • Departmental parties and celebrations such as birthdays, Christmas, retirement, farewell, and baby showers, are not reimbursable expenses to the department or employee. The College supports community wide appreciation events, hosted by Human Resources.

Policy Review completed 1-2022.


Expense Reimbursement Report – 2023

Affidavit of Lost Receipt Form

Grant Expense Reimbursement Form – 2023

Leave a Comment