LOADING

Type to search

Academics Featured Home

Nursing Unfiltered: Meet Shannon Bethel

Share

Shannon Bethel’s story is all about growth. “I applied to a lot of schools and my heart wasn’t necessarily set on Saint Joe’s. The day of my scheduled tour I remember telling my mom that I was not going to go. I grew up in Massachusetts so I’m no stranger to New England winters, but I wasn’t jumping at the chance to live further north where it was even colder. I also felt like two and a half hours away from home might as well be a lifetime.”

Lucky for us, Shannon’s mom won that battle. “During my tour I was able to see that it was the perfect environment for me. I wanted to attend a college with a small campus, and physically being here made me want to attend college here. My tour guide was awesome too, which helped! And for the record, being two and a half hours away from home isn’t so bad.”

Shannon BethelDespite her initial thoughts about Saint Joe’s, Shannon was ready for her new chapter in life. “I was so excited to go to college. Coming here was new and exciting, and I immediately met a bunch of great girls who I’m still friends with to this day. With only one nursing class, it was the perfect balance of school and being given the space to meet new people, create your own support networks and get used to your new home away from home and the new life that comes along with it.”

Shannon credits her large, gregarious family for shaping her into who she is today. “I grew up in Milford, MA, with five siblings. Coming from such a large family played such a big role in who I am today and who I always will be. Growing up, I loved having so many siblings. I think it helped me become comfortable with making friends and talking to people easily. I’m also a lot like my dad, who can talk to anyone he doesn’t know. I worked as a waitress back at home, so jobs where you’re constantly interacting with people from all walks of life have always appealed to me. The idea of becoming a nurse came to me in high school. I went to a technical high school where I got my CNA. I’d say that is what put me on the path into a career in nursing.”

Similar to many people who decide on nursing, part of the appeal of this line of work to Shannon was the boundless opportunity, something she was able to see first-hand during clinical rotations. “A lot of nurses I’ve met during my clinical rotations are still switching their careers, and it’s encouraging to see that we’re in a line of work that not only supports ever-changing goals, but has the resources to allow you to really go for whatever it is you want.”

Shannon has wasted no time gaining as much experience as she can beyond her nursing courses at SJC.

“I currently work at Maine Medical Center on the medical oncology floor. This experience has inspired me to go into oncology nursing after graduating from SJC. I’m also a tutor for adult nursing and work in the nursing lab as a lab assistant here at Saint Joe’s. I host an open lab where students can come in and I can assist them with whatever it is they need. I really enjoy that, which makes me think I could be interested in going back to school for teaching in the future.”

Staying true to her affable nature, Shannon has wasted no time connecting with her patients. “I haven’t even started my nursing career, but I’ve already had the most incredible patients. I did a fellowship this past summer at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston that I loved. I worked for six weeks on a bone marrow transplant and leukemia floor, and then another six weeks on a medical oncology floor. I was able to get a ton of experience with chemo, transplants, and central lines on the bone marrow transplant and leukemia floor. I had one patient who was a patient for my primary nurse, and we had her nearly every day for those six weeks. She was an amazing woman and I’ll never forget little things about her. It was almost like she was learning along with me, and I felt so lucky to be able to develop that relationship. In the future, I hope to be the nurse that all of my patients know they can come to with whatever it is they need. I don’t want to be anything other than that.”

The going is going to get tough in nursing school; there’s no way around that. But Shannon made sure to use every resource available to help her through difficult times. “I’ve found myself feeling defeated at times. But I noticed an improvement once I learned how to study and manage my time. Sophomore year was the first time I went to the counseling center here at SJC. They were amazing. They’re not just there to help you mentally, they also helped me learn how to manage my time and gave me tips on how to study for certain classes. Our professors are also incredibly helpful. They are so supportive and want you to do well and pass your classes just as much as you do. Knowing that they are always going to be there to help is very reassuring.”

Shannon on horseOn top of the resources found on campus, Shannon found solace off campus as well. “I tend to have a hard time pulling myself away from school and work, so having someone or a group of friends to fall back on when you need some time away is a must. One thing I do for myself is make sure that I have one weekend per semester to get off campus, visit with family, and not worry or even think about school. In the past year I’ve learned how to golf and ski, and have been traveling whenever I get the opportunity. It’s hard because you have a lot on your plate with nursing school, but it is so important to get out, have fun, hang out with friends and take a mental break.”

When asked about her plans for the future, it’s clear that Shannon has experienced some incredible growth in her four years at Saint Joe’s. She may have originally balked at the idea of moving a few hours away from home, but now her sights are set on an even bigger move. “I’ve opened up so much since freshman year. I most likely will be moving out to Utah once I graduate. I’ve never desired to live far from home, but I’ve seen that there’s so much out there to learn and I’m excited to learn even more about myself by pushing my boundaries and going outside of my comfort zone.”