LOADING

Type to search

Academics Featured Home Overview

Heart and Soul Student Award winner Andrew Martin

Share

Congratulations to Andrew Martin ’24, on earning the Heart and Soul Student award from Maine Campus Compact! The Heart and Soul Student Award honors a student’s exceptional contributions to civic engagement, both on campus and within the community. Maine Campus Compact says that Andrew is a shining example of the importance of student leadership for creating positive community impact.

Andrew exemplifies their leadership qualities in many ways. They facilitate the Constitution Day program with Dr. Hibben and they are already planning on next year’s program. Andrew works for the Mercy Center as a Community Service Leader and works with Preble Street on the Advocacy Team as well as their community outreach. Andrew is the President of the Reimagining Communities club which is working on a community garden. Andrew is also involved with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program.

When you ask Andrew Martin to describe themself, one of the first things you’ll hear Andrew say is “I’m a product of Maine.” The double major in Leadership for Sustainable Development and History  doesn’t shy away from hard work. Andrew is the founder and organizer of the Reimagining Communities Club (recently merged with another club and re-named SJC Community Club) and the Standish Community Garden. Now, the club’s main goal is to benefit and strengthen the Lakes Region community. This year, the club has been preparing for the growing season where they will expand and continue the Standish Community Garden, among several other projects.

Andrew in the Community GardenLast year, Andrew told us, “The idea to begin a community garden grew from a song lyric and a half-hearted interest in community organizing into a full-blown passion project in only a couple of weeks. It turns out everyone likes the idea of public goods and is more than willing to help you out as long as you’re willing to offer them your time and energy.”

“Since arriving at Saint Joe’s, I’ve spent a lot of time refining my sense of direction and sharpening my convictions. I’ve learned that making a change wherever you see a need– be it in politics formal, athletics, in education, etc– isn’t as challenging as you may have been led to believe it is. I’ve learned that if you set goals you can achieve alone or with a group of friends, your impact can be huge. To that point, if enough people across the country set their sights on the issues endemic to their communities in that way, we might find ourselves living in a nicer place.“

“There may be more higher education in my future, but the dream I now have for my career is to work as a community organizer, doing the kind of work I’m doing here at Saint Joseph’s, but on an even greater scale. I see so much good just waiting to be done at the grassroots level here in Southern Maine, and I’d like to be the person to help it along!”

Well done, Andrew!