LOADING

Type to search

Academics Featured Home Overview

Meet Tammy Pilkington, Heart and Soul Student Award winner.

Share

Congratulations to Tammy Pilkington ’23, on earning this student award from Maine Campus Compact! The Heart and Soul Student Award honors a student’s exceptional contributions to civic engagement, both on campus and within the community. Maine Campus Compact says that Tammy is a shining example of the importance of student leadership for creating positive community impact.

Tammy is an online student graduating in May with a bachelor’s in Theological Studies. Part of her studies included mini-practicums, where students must find ways to put into practice three key pillars of Catholic Social Teaching: 1) Respect for life and human dignity; 2) Preferential option for the poor; and 3) Care for Creation.

In one of these practicums, Tammy chose to visit patients at a local nursing home and deliberately sought out the least visited patient in the care facility – an elderly woman with Alzheimer’s. Her experience was so powerful that it inspired faculty to implement similar community-based service learning-type practicums in their own courses.

Tammy says because the elderly patient she visited had been abandoned by her family, she felt sad, lonely and her self-worth had been diminished. “I believe that God entered the room because for the next two hours the veil of Alzheimer’s was slightly drawn back. I listened and asked questions as she told me different stories about her life (true stories, confirmed from a staff member). I decided to play her some Gospel music. What happened next has forever left a mark on my heart that will never be erased. I placed my phone on her pillow near her ear and as the first Gospel song started to play, God freed her completely from the restraints of Alzheimer’s and she came alive! Her mind, heart and soul were soaring to the heavenly music. She sang every single word on cue to all eight songs that I played.”

In another practicum, she hosted a meal for the homeless in her area which had an equally heart-warming effect. This effect spread beyond the direct recipients of her kindness, eventually drawing in even those who were resistant to participate.

Her professors say Tammy demonstrates innovative and grass-roots level approaches to address such diverse community issues as loneliness, hunger insecurity, environmental degradation, and substance abuse. Her strategies of engagement have varied, but they are grounded in a willingness to serve and advocate for the most vulnerable, marginalized, and disenfranchised members of society.

Tammy has a strong desire to continue making a difference in the lives’ of others and her community. “After graduation, I plan to continue to be an active advocate in reducing recidivism in my community through ministry and by further developing and implementing re-entry programs for female inmates, further assisting the efforts of my community in reducing homelessness, and educating the public on suicide awareness and prevention.”

Well done, Tammy!

— Most of the content for Tammy’s nomination was given to us by Dr. Steve Bridge, program director for the online Theology programs.