The holidays might be “the most wonderful time of the year”, but for many adult learners, it’s also the most stressful. Trying to fit in assignments around family visits, holiday parties, and gift shopping can be hectic (to say the least).
In recognition of how time-consuming the holidays can be, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you manage your education amidst all that mistletoe, eggnog, and good cheer.
- Plan ahead. In general, it’s good practice for online students to plan out their days. When the holidays come around, however, “good practice” turns to “critically important”. It’s easy to lose track of a course with the holidays’ (welcome) distractions of family, food, and fun. Write down what assignments you need to complete and when you’ll do them. Stick to that schedule.
- Use your resources. Most colleges and universities provide free online services – like tutors and academic advisors – to their students-at-a-distance. Take advantage of these resources, especially at times of the year when you feel most overwhelmed (hint: the holidays).
- Seek out other students. Will you be hosting or visiting relatives? Are any of these relatives students? If so, ask if they’d like to study with you.
- Shop online. Spare yourself the hassle of going to the mall and do the bulk of your gift shopping online. You’ll save time by not having to deal with crowded parking lots and long lines at the register. Special online promotions and the ability to compare prices with a click of your mouse will save you money, too.
- Take it easy on yourself. Don’t set unrealistically high expectations. As an online student, you might not have the time to attend every party or bake brownies for every function. Know your limits and make your family, friends, and coworkers aware of your academic obligations. The best gift you can give yourself is a brighter future through education.
Guides to Success as an Online Degree Student
The following information has been prepared to assist adult students.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.