LOADING

Type to search

Academics Featured

Students first to complete Integrative Health Science minor

Share

The Institute of Integrative Aging is proud to announce that Anthony Wright, Lindsey Barrow and Nicholas Jope are Saint Joseph’s College of Maine’s first 3 students to complete a minor in Integrative Health Science. The 20-credit, interdisciplinary minor was created in Fall 2019.

Integrative Health Science Minor:

• HE 202 Pathophysiology and Disease Prevention (3)
  • HE 203 Community Nutrition (4)
  • HE 300 Social and Cultural Issues in Health (4) CBL
  • IH 300 Introduction to Holistic Health (3)
  • IH 400 Trauma Informed Mindfulness Meditation and Yoga) (TIMMY) (3)
  • IH 422 Stress Management (3)

This concentration is ideal for students who want to focus on prerequisite courses with the aim of pursuing a professional degree or graduate program in Western, Eastern or Lifestyle Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Athletic Training, Nursing or Physician Assistant. As a more body-mind-spirit perspective of health has evolved, the training of health professionals is evolving as well. Students will obtain an integrated, holistic understanding of how human disease and health and wellness are impacted by such personal behaviors as nutrition, sleep, exercise, and regular stress management practices. This educational content will give graduates a competitive edge for admission into professional and graduate health-related programs or entry into health-related careers as well as multiple hands-on self-care opportunities.

Student Speak on the Trauma Informed Mindfulness Meditation and Yoga (capstone course of minor)

Anthony Wright

“Throughout my educational experience I have never taken a class that taught me so much beyond the classroom. From learning about the neuroscience behind meditation, to experiencing it firsthand, this class gave me useful tools to strengthen my mental, emotional, and spiritual health. With reflection being a huge part of the class and encouraging students to truly look within themselves, this class is one for development beyond one’s intellect.  Personally, I cannot think of a better class to add as a core requirement for all students because it teaches students how to react to stress in a healthy way and plants the seeds for internal growth.”
Tony Wright

Lindsey Barrow, integrative health science minor

“I have thoroughly enjoyed the Trauma Informed Mindfulness Meditation and Yoga course. This course has been extremely helpful in reducing my chronic migraines and taught me effective ways on how to reduce my stress and anxiety levels.”
Lindsey Barrow

Nicholas Jope, integrative health science minor

“I absolutely loved our TIMMY class! We spent time learning and practicing so many different types of meditation. This pandemic year has been quite a challenge and I think all of us have experienced a lot more stress. This class helped me to find a practice to incorporate into my life. I think it definitely had a positive effect on my grades as well as my stress level. I still continue to meditate every day.”
Nick Jope