LOADING

Type to search

“I’ve always felt that volunteering is a great way to connect with people and to be part of something more than just work. Both of the organizations I volunteer with have values that closely tie in with the Sisters of Mercy and support the same areas of focus that the Critical Concerns outline.”

Jackie Cattabriga - Human Resources
Community Featured

Inspired by the Sisters of Mercy, Jackie Cattabriga takes volunteering to heart

Share

From the first moment you interact with Jackie Cattabriga, a staff member of the Saint Joe’s Human Resources Department, you feel warmth. So it won’t come as a surprise to anyone when you find out that she also dedicates time outside of her busy work life regularly volunteering at not one, but two organizations; Partners for World Health and the Standish Food Pantry.

“I first heard about Partners for World Health when Elizabeth McLellan, the founder and President, got her honorary Doctor of Public Service degree here at SJC in 2015. I was helping at commencement that year and as she was speaking, my interest in the organization was piqued. Shortly after I learned that they had opportunities to volunteer on weekends, so I signed up and soon enough was volunteering in the warehouse.”

Partners for World Health (PWH) collects medical supplies and equipment from healthcare facilities, manufacturers, other organizations, and individuals. Items are then sorted, evaluated, repackaged and distributed to individuals, communities, and healthcare facilities in need.

“Lately, my primary responsibility is to go in and tally volunteer hours for them. Recording volunteer hours benefits PWH because that information is useful when it comes time to apply for grants, as well as recruiting efforts. In December, I volunteered at an international artisan fair that they hosted at their warehouse. It was similar to a craft fair, but all of the items for sale were originally purchased from artists during PWH missions trips. The pieces came from countries like Bangladesh, Cambodia, Turkey and Uganda.”

As far-reaching as Partners for World Health is, Jackie also likes to keep things local by volunteering at the Standish food pantry. The food pantry, which originally started at SJC and was known as Catherine’s Cupboard in honor of Catherine McAuley, successfully transitioned and became the Standish Food Pantry after Standish identified food insecurity as something that needed to be addressed within the community.

“I started volunteering at the food pantry ten years ago when SJC still ran it, and kept with it even after they transitioned to the Standish Food Pantry. They’re open two days a week, and I will typically go after work and assist with reorganizing, restocking, and cleaning. I’m fascinated by what the food pantry is able to provide residents of not only Standish, but neighboring towns as well.”

Volunteering at the food pantry, Jackie is able to interact with all types of people and families utilizing the resource, making her grateful that it is available to those in need.

“You tend to see a lot of older people on fixed incomes, disabled people, and people who just sometimes can’t put together sufficient resources to support their families. These are things we don’t have control over, but the food pantry is something we can control, and so I’m so happy it is available as a resource.”

Asked why she dedicates her time to helping others, Jackie sites the Sisters of Mercy as being an inspiration. “I’ve always felt that volunteering is a great way to connect with people and to be part of something more than just work. Both of the organizations I volunteer with have values that closely tie in with the Sisters of Mercy and support the same areas of focus that the Critical Concerns outline.”

More #CommunityKindness
Lisa Rodrigue
Lauren Masse
Carly Jordan
Patricia Waters
Emily Lesher
Kathryn Cody
Steve Bridge
Olivia Morelli
Stephanie Heatley