LOADING

Type to search

Community Featured Home

Olivia Morelli’s passion for public service

Share

Olivia Morelli knows that public service helps the community as well as the person committed to it. When she arrived at SJC as a Political Science major, she knew she wanted first-hand experience that would help her grow not only as a person, but to benefit a potential career path in local politics and community work.

“I saw a job listing for Social Justice Support Staff at the Mercy Center and I just decided to go for it. It ended up being better than anything I could have imagined. I was able to get my foot in the door and immediately start working with surrounding communities, planning volunteer events, and even getting creative by making event advertisements.”

Like most of our Community Kindness subjects, Olivia was well acquainted with volunteer work before coming to Saint Joe’s. “I was part of my high school’s community service club, so that’s where my journey with volunteer work started. I also ran cross country and track in high school, so I started small by volunteering at meets. What I enjoyed most about that was being able to see the community from a different perspective. Rather than being a direct participant in the event, I was able to see how it worked from the outside in.”

An avid sports lover, Olivia has been drawn to volunteering at sporting events of all kinds. After switching her major from Political Science to Nursing, she continued to see the value in giving back to the community through volunteer work.

“Some of my favorite places to volunteer at are sporting events. I’ve volunteered at Little League games, swim meets, track meets, and cross country meets. I love staying involved in sports and volunteering to help the next generation love the sport as much as I do. While I hope to continue volunteering and helping the sports I love continue to grow, I also hope to find different opportunities in healthcare related volunteering events, since public health is an interest of mine and a topic I believe is extremely important, and as a nurse I’ll have the skills and knowledge to volunteer at those events.”

One theme that has stayed consistent throughout our Community Kindness series is the dedication of personal time to helping others. Like adults with families and full time jobs, college students notoriously have full plates, challenging classes, busy semesters, and work sometimes multiple jobs. Yet a select few, like Olivia, still take the time to give back.

“I’ve always loved helping others and making a difference in my community. It makes me so glad to see the impact that the Mercy Center, as well as the other organizations I’ve volunteered at, are making on the community. Volunteering and helping others gives me a sense of purpose. Just knowing that I’ve made someone’s day a bit brighter is the best feeling. Volunteering has made me a more grateful person, and makes me appreciate my own life and everything I have. Volunteering has made me realize that I want to go into a career where I’m dedicated to helping and caring for others. It was a big influence on my decision to become a nursing major.”

When asked about her biggest takeaway from volunteering, Olivia goes back to the root of community service as a whole. “My volunteering experiences over the past few years have shown me just how many people are in need. There are so many different events to volunteer at, and there are so many organizations out there to help people and create events, food drives, and more. If you want to help people in need and make a difference, there are lots of people that truly need it, and volunteering is a great way to reach them.”

More #CommunityKindness
Lisa Rodrigue
Lauren Masse
Carly Jordan
Patricia Waters
Emily Lesher
Kathryn Cody
Steve Bridge
Jackie Cattabriga
Stephanie Heatley